ss_blog_claim=27c167cdb8f8a240a14959527b4317db Trolls, Flame Wars & CyberStalkers: 52 CRAIGSLIST~FLAG HELP BOARD~THE ABUSE NEEDS TO STOP
Cyberbullies
Monday, September 07, 2009
Case# 52 CRAIGSLIST~FLAG HELP BOARD~THE ABUSE NEEDS TO STOP
It has been a very long time since I have posted on this blog. I have thought about this blog so many times, and have had so many things I wanted to blog about. But my life in the last two years have been busier than I expect, and I was challenged with so many new roads and paths in my life, that my blogging was put on the back burner. BUT recently, I have fire in me to write about problems that are going on with Craigslist. (Besides the Craigslist killings, and lawsuits of their promoting erotica areas, which they have now stopped, as they CENSORED their own site.)

Just over a year ago, my husband bought a variety/used furniture store. I was told that Craigslist (from now on I will call CL) was great for free advertising. And in reality, it is, and did help our business a lot. But, one who advertises on CL has to deal with their ads being removed for no reason many times. In my case, I think other dealers are just jealous and will flag your ads for removal. When this happened to me the first time, I received a very nice email to go to the CL Flag Help forum. I thought that was great that CL would have a place to explain the reasons or explain things for you. OMG, I was astounded and shocked when I placed my question of why my ad was removed. I was jumped on, belittled, degraded, called names, faced vulgar language from a group of people in the Flag Help. Hmmm, how interesting.

Those that know me, know that I am going to investigate this. And I did. I would find the time to go to the Flag Help Desk 3 or 4 times a week. Just to read the questions and answers, but not to comment. I had to GRIT my teeth not to get involved in this. The CL Flag Desk (as well as their other so called Help Support Forums) sadly, is just a sad place for people who advertise on CL needing help, where they are ganged up on, degraded, belittled, insulted, called horrible names, and leave wondering WHAT THE HELL was that all about? The helpers consist of people who are total jerks, and they get their kicks out of trying to hurt people, being prejudice, using vulgar language, trying to push buttons to harm, deface and slander these innocent people who came there that needed help, and expected help. To laugh at them, carry on conversations that they can read about them, only to make them suffer, hurt and hope they accomplished their sick goals, as if to destroy them with their harsh and uncalled words. WHERE does CL get these people, and why do they not care that these hired or volunteered helpers are not helping at all?

I could no longer sit on this another day after reading the inhuman treatments of how these people were treated. I could not bare to see these people asking for honest help in a HELP SECTION to suffer being slandered in such a malicious way. Below is a very soft problem I recently read today on the CL Help Desk. This example is nothing compared to how they treated others. This person was treated nicely compared to others I read about.

An individual placed an ad to sell a boat, and in error, placed it in the wrong category, therefore it was flagged and removed. They asked for help of why their ad was flagged and removed. OMG, the responses were so fast. Name calling from the help desk of the individual being an idiot, stupid, dumb ass, can’t read, etc. It really ticked me off, as they made an honest mistake and needed help. NOT ONE person in the help area said anything such as “Your ad was placed in the wrong category. This sometimes happens. Just repost in the right category, and everything should be fine.” If any do not believe me, just hit this link and decide for yourself of the treatment that goes on there to people asking for help. http://huntsville.craigslist.org/forums/ I know that when people close this out, they are so angry, shaking their heads, in disbelief or maybe even crying. And this bothers me a great deal! People should not have to suffer for asking for help, and to be treated so badly. We are already in a time on this world where we have so many problems to bare, so many decisions we have to make just to make ends meet, and to face the never ending stress that life befalls upon us. Yet, on CL Help Flag, we have to face more from people that evidently have no conscious.

CL was designed and came up with a really good idea to allow people to advertise for free. And for those that have not had any problems with their ads, or had their ads flagged and removed, I am sure they swear by CL and how wonderful it is. But, I am sure their minds would be shocked should they ever encounter the problems with the Flag Help. Hopefully this blog will let them realize how lucky they are, yet alert them to the problems sporting CL. I am highly disturbed that CL allows such behavior in their Flag Help and other help areas to continue. I cannot understand why such a public name as CL, their owners and developers allow this to happen to innocent parties that are just asking for HELP. Especially since it can only lead to their discredit, and they have already had problems in the past. Do they just not CARE? I have written CL before concerning this and have had no response, and I am sure others have written as well. You would think this would be important to them.

CL in my opinion and what I have researched, could very well be setting themselves up for a slander lawsuit, in their Help area. Emotional impact of demeaning and defacing people is not something to be proud of, and they as a public service should take note of this.

I do not even know these people, but I plan to stick up and stand up for them, and try to put my thinking hat on and in motion to stop this Internet abuse. I am in the process of emailing the people that have been abused, and send them to this blog to post and tell their stories of their abuse on CL Flag Help. I want my readers to understand and to be aware of these problems. My intentions are also to promote and attach this blog to as many news and media groups that will listen to me and their stories. (This will include TV stations as well.)

I would also like to find away to set up a city free ad system to help people take advantage of. And a help forum where real help is given. This will take a lot and I will have to find volunteers that care, and where the help forum can be monitored. I think I can do this, as thankfully I do have a large group of friends that care and want to help others.

My final note is to all the people that have been abused, degraded, insulted and hurt within the CL Flag Help. You did nothing wrong going to the Flag Help and placing your ad for help and advise. The wrong was done by the helpers there. Write your story, as it is important of your abuse there. Use the Internet as a tool to show others.

My last experience on CL was not a pleasant one either. I expected it, as I have already read so many other horror stories. Below is my copy and paste. If they want to get me for copyright laws, OK.

ITEM WAS PLACED IN FREE SERVICES BY ME
Free Clothes ad removed < yngathrrt > 09/05 08:53:16
I am not here to ask why, as anytime I or anyone comes here to ask for help, people are harassed. I have a great deal of clothes that I wanted to give away, and in this day and age, people need clothes. So much for trying to help. This That and the Other in Hazel Green, Al has a huge lot of ladies clothes that we are giving away free. This That and the Other is a Variety/Furniture store and we do not deal in clothes, but after we cleaned out a house, there were also a ton of clothes in that house. These clothes are in excellent condition, and some still have their tags on them. These are only women clothes and the sizes are 8 to 10 and some plus sizes. Coats, jeans, shirts, skirts, dresses, etc. Come and get them. We will be opening at 12 today for our LABOR DAY SALE. Sept. 5th, 2010 Clothes are located at THIS THAT and the OTHER in Hazel Green, Al. Store is directly across the street from Hazel Green Elementary School playground in Taylor Village Store hours are Thursday and Friday from 12 to 6, Sat and Sunday from 1 to 5 (But many times you can find us a lot earlier on Saturday; Phone is 256-348-3440. We DO NOT accept CHECKS or CREDIT CARDS. Cash Only. Per Alabama State Law, we do charge 5.5% sales tax.

A FEW EXAMPLES OF THE RESPONSES I GOT. To long to list them all.

CAUSE YOUR BUSINESS SPAM < - > 09/05 08:56:57
is not appreciated in a generally private party section. yep. nuff of you
You're a self serving ass, enuff said. § < -- > 09/05 08:59:02
when you stop spamming < MyRedHandle > 09/05 09:00:09
then we can chat intelligently.
they basically sell garbage. I can see why < - > 09/05 09:01:56
they have to spam. Not to worry, should go out of business soon.

To leave a note on your story, just click the NOTES section at the bottom of this blog!

Labels: , , ,

Investigated by yngathrrt @ 1:58 AM
Link To The Evidence| 14 thought(s)
Agent's Notes for: 52 CRAIGSLIST~FLAG HELP BOARD~THE ABUSE NEEDS TO STOP
Just to prove that comments are working here, I am submitting my own so that others can see. BTW, Notes can turn to Thoughts once comments are made.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

This comment has been removed by the author.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

This comment has been removed by the author.

4 comments have been removed, and 2 were my own. These comments were deleted as a link was broken, therefore it just sounded confusing for anyone that read the blog and then the comments, and to me the comments were no longer valid. The comments were from a Flag helper on CL, and not from others that posted here concerning their abuse stories, which are still in moderation, or completely deleted and send to my email to address.

I find it hard to believe you. The links were not broken. The comments were relevant to your blog article.

Let your readers see your behavior and judge for themselves. There are two sides to this coin, afraid to let these people see how you acted in the craigslist flag forum?


Blog authors handle history on craigslist, complete with auguring and off topic threads.

Unbroken link to blog authors handle history: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?act=su&handle=yngathrrt


Off topic/flamer/rant thread that blog author started in craigslist's official flag help forum, and were then removed by craigslist staff to the isle of misfit threads:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=168928392

Please feel free to click on my name above here to see what kind of a helper I am in craigslist official forum flag help.

TheFixxer

Here is a link to your off topic thread that was removed from the official craigslist forum flag help by staff, and has been relocated to the Isle of Misfit Threads. I have posted this for your posterity, and for your readers.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=168928392 Link 100% not broken


TheFixxer

I see you removed/censored the truth concerning your behavior in the official craigslist flag help forum.

It is a sad day when blogger like you can not stand up and face your own actions. You flamed, posted off topic threads, spammed links to your blog site. Then you would like to say ALL the helpers are bad.

Here is a link to yet another one of your flame/off topic/spamming your blog site threads. Please note this thread was also removed by the staff at craigslist for being inappropriate for the flag help forum. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=168632876

Thank you for writing about your bad experience at the craigslist.org forum. I too encountered the same abusive behavior and was completely shocked to realize that CL allows this to go on. (One is left wondering just what the actual moral fabric of craigslist.org is).

After my CL flag help forum troll attack I first turned to Wikipedia for info on craigslist. The Wikipedia "craigslist" article made no mention of malicious flagging or 'flag help forum' troll abuse. I thought that was rather odd, given how blog articles dating back to 2007, and perhaps further, all describe the abusive behavior being present. Equally odd is how unknown this abuse phenomenon is. One only learns of it when they go to CL help forums, and then their 'after attack' research will uncover blog articles, but strangely, no newspapers or magazines articles can be found.

I'm trying to edit the Wikipedia article on craigslist to include mentions of; hostile flagging of ads, flag help forun troll abuse, and the fact that craigslist uses an unmoderated forum format which allows anyone to post help responses anonymously and without accountability. (Thus far my edit is stalled, while I try to find reference/sources that are accepted by Wikipedias guidelines)

The 'word' of abusive conduct being present and allowed to occur at craigslist.org needs to get out...thank you for the part your article is playing in that effort.

Note; If you have any links to "news media" articles on this subject, please post the links in your comment area...I need "news media sources" for citations in the Wikipedia article edit. (unfortunately blog type articles are not accepted for article references and citations) Thank you,Ron

Check my posts here about cyberstalkers

http://makarovtale.blogspot.com/2011/02/stalkers-game-of-love-and-cyberstalkers.html

I'd thought you may find the following tongue-in-cheek "guide" to the Craigslist Flag Help Forum somewhat humorous.

http://why-was-i-flagged-on-craigslist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for calling out this dysfunction.

That is a really good tip especially to those new to the
blogosphere. Brief but very precise information… Appreciate your sharing this one.
A must read article!
My blog :: disc personality

Ron, I hope you will consider continuing this blog. The abuse has gotten MUCH worse. Downright vile. I won't go into my VERY long conversations with the abusers...but WILL say, you're right, it has to stop. I will tell you about my first encounter quickly...Tried to sell a Louis Vuitton trunk for $300 because I was desperate to see my Grandkids. Flagged for being too cheap. Called a scammer, a few more names I won't repeat and repeatedly violated and called a liar. I just wanted it sold because I only had two days to raise a few bucks to go. This trunk was not one of the expensive ones, I used it in the garage, not knowing it was LV until damaged. Outrageous behaviour tolerated by Craig. I never did get to see them because of this. It took another 2 years before I could make the trip again. And if anyone is wondering why I signed in as anonymous, I have to use CL to sell (disabled), it's how I eat. They will flag you if you bash them anywhere on-line. Can anyone say papers please?

|Back To Home|
Add to Technorati Favorites
Template courtesy of:
Daria Black

Powered by :
Powered by Blogger